Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Marriage: Early in the Game


I’ve been engaged for all of 6 days and one thing I’m realizing is that I am going to learn a ton about marriage as we journey together over the next year. I’m excited about this and look forward to sharing my insights with you.

This morning I began to read through today’s portion of the One Year Bible, hanging out in Malachi and God showed me something about marriage. Malachi 2:14-16 God speaks to the Israelite men and calls them to repentance in the area of marriage.




Several aspects of marriage were reaffirmed this morning.
• Marriage is a life-long covenant between two people with God as the witness.
• Marriage provides a man & woman with a companion for life, work and ministry.
• Marriage is the uniting of two people that become one.
• Marriage to Sarah is going to rock.

I also learned two new aspects of marriage that I have never thought about:
• God gives His Spirit
• God’s purpose for marriage is Godly offspring

God ordains and makes marriages, but verse 15 tells us that He also gives a portion of the Spirit in the union. As a young single man I have been desperate for the Spirit. As a married man nothing will change, I will always have to be desperate for God’s Spirit to lead me. The overall purpose of marriage is stated in verse 16, to reproduce Godly offspring that will follow in their parents’ ways of following God by the leading of His Spirit.

There is a spiritual purpose for every marriage and God’s leading is necessary in order to fulfill this purpose. Whether you are married, soon to be or far from it, I think there are several prayer points that come from this text. I would challenge you to begin today praying through the truth of this text. It will help your marriage and keep it headed down God’s right track.

5 Prayer Points
1. Make us one
2. Help us realize & rely on the leading of your Spirit
3. Continually guard our spirit
4. Empower us to remain faithful to each other
5. Ultimate result = Godly Offspring

No comments: